As parents, we tried to introduce Heidi to a "lovie." Some little thing that she could use to comfort her in new situations, help her sleep, etc. We had a bunch of those little "blanket animals." You know the ones, about a foot squared, silky on one side, and an animal head attached.
Of course, The Nut had other ideas. To Heidi Jean, nothing beats an afghan. According to Wikipedia...
An Afghan is a blanket, wrap, or shawl of colored yarn. It is knitted or crocheted in geometric shapes. It can also be referred to as an "afkin,"[1] "throw blanket," or simply as a "throw". Afghans, throw blankets, and throw rugs, originally named because the materials used would decay and the items would be thrown away, were first made in Afghanistan and commonly included geometric designs and many holes in the pattern. The most common defining detail about afghans is that they are made from yarn and hand-stitched or knitted.[2] In North American craft tradition, afghans are handcrafted blankets of various sizes to be draped over sofas or large chairs for decoration and are sometimes used for napping or warmth.
I'm willing to say that Heidi Jean uses hers more than "sometimes" for napping.





Afghan=Lovie
3 comments:
Aww, so sweet! I'm a little jealous that she took to a lovie...we had special blankets AND stuffed animals for Cam to "attach" to, but he never did. Except the other night he threw up on this one little bear, and I guess he asked for it at bedtime when Mike put him down. Two nights in a row! When I heard that I ran down to get the bear off the drying rack and put it in bed with him, so sweet.
That is too cute! I love all the pictures of her with it. James attached to an afghan too. And it's definitely seen better days.
:D So cute!! It's amazing what children will attach themselves too. I bought Emmett a "lovie". One that I hoped would be different from Anna's numerous lovies. It didn't have an animal head or anything but she still is trying to claim it as her own. She calls it Tag La La. I sense sibling rivalry on the horizon!
Post a Comment