Friday, January 2, 2009

My 2009 Non-Resolutions

Resolutions have such a tone of failure attached to them, so much so that I've never been one to set them. But for 2009, I have some general things I'd like to work on, to do better, to finally accomplish. And so, in no particular order, I bring you my 2009 non-resolutions.
  • Be more disciplined with spending. I'm dying to get a new car, but in order to do that, I have to pay off Josh's truck first, and in order to do that, I have to be more disciplined with my spending. We do fine with paying the bills and still having fun money left over, but I know if I decreased some of the mindless spending, I'd be on the road to a new vehicle in no time. I'm also going to need a new laptop some time this year, so it'd be nice to have the money to pay for that without charging it. Oh yeah, and get that last credit card paid off--I'm almost there!
  • Be more disciplined with eating. I really go in spurts with this. I was doing really well last year until pregnancy and the three months of all day nausea. I'm not dieting, or anything like that, I just want to cut back on the fast food (ick) and concentrate on eating more veggies at home. I love to cook, so it really isn't a chore, but sometimes it's just hard to find time in the day and so much faster to throw a frozen pizza in and call it a meal. I'm also going to refocus on portion sizes and eating slower. Lately I've been feeling like a giant pig which really isn't like me.
  • Cut back on the Mountain Dew. Lord knows I'll probably never quit, unless I really had a good reason to. But I find it hypocritical for me to criticize others for their vices while not attempting to modify my own. Granted, mine isn't probably going to kill me any time soon, but it is unneeded calories and cavities. Along with this, goes drinking more water. That's a given.
  • Be more active! We all know that we feel better when we're more active. There aren't excuses, we can all find time. I've already docketed my time for it, and ordered a new fun tape (plus I have Wii Fit, holla). I can't wait for it to get warm so Heidi and I can get out and walk (or even jog in the jogging stroller)!
  • Be the role model that I want to be. There are a lot of little things that I see other people doing that I think I could do and only be a better person for doing. I'd like to go to church more, swear less, never ever drink and drive, give to the less forunate, not be callously hurtful, complete random acts of kindness...

This isn't a final list, but this year more than ever, I see reasons for living the life that I've always wanted to live. I have a beautiful daughter who will be mimicking my actions before I know it. And I have an appreciation for life and the knowledge that it could be over at any time.

Here's to a great 2009!

No comments: