There is simply no way for me to accurately put into words what happened tonight. Or to make it as funny in print as it was in real life. Although, I don't know if funny is the right way to describe it.
It all started out perfectly normal. Heidi and I went along with Josh to get his haircut. We usually go because my aunt cuts his hair so we can visit and Heidi can get her little bangs trimmed. His haircut was at 5, Heidi had a little snack before we left, and I imagined we'd just high-tail it back home afterwards, have dinner and a bath, and call it a night. As we're leaving my aunt says, "so where's dinner tonight?" and I said "probably at home, we ate out last night."
Then as we're walking out to the car, Josh starts complaining about how hungry he is. I say "well, we can eat somewhere if you want to." He says, "it doesn't matter." [This is totally his comment for everything, he never says yes or no.] Again he says how hungry he is, so I'm like, whatever, I'll just get a taco at Taco Bell and then we'll get home.
So, we go to Taco Bell, eat in so that Heidi can eat with us, and as we're eating we have this conversation:
Him: I get to get a lunch for tomorrow [sidenote: he always gets a lunch when we go to Viking which is right next door to the Taco Bell].
Me: Can't you just make a sandwich with stuff we have at home
He's looking all sad.
Me: But then you wouldn't have a dessert cup
Him: Well, I guess I don't have to get one.
We finish eating, and we're heading out to the car to go home and he says, "Heidi and I will just walk over there?" Me "okay." So apparently he does want to get a lunch. I get in the car and drive over and he walks over with Heidi. We go in and he's complaining that Heidi is heavy so I tell him to put her in a cart and we go over to where the lunches are and I tell him to pick one out...
Him: I get to get one?
Me: Why do you think we're here?
Him: you said I couldn't have one.
Me: Just go pick something out. Why do you think we're here?
Him: Just go get your other stuff.
Me: What other stuff? I don't have anything to get? We came here to get you a lunch?
Him: What do you mean?
Me: We're here only to get you a lunch, I don't need groceries, I'm getting them tomorrow!
Seriously, it's not that funny in print. Probably because I left out me calling him an idiot 500 times and a lady in the grocery store turning and laughing at me calling him an idiot. For more backstory, I will say that I told Josh earlier this week that I'm not going grocery shopping until Thursday because I'm getting fruit and stuff for camping this weekend and don't want it to go bad. Today is not Thursday. Never at any point in the night did I make mention of getting groceries. But apparently Josh has had it in his head all day that we were, since he even told a guy at work that we were going to get groceries tonight.
And more backstory. There were several times during the course of this whole deal that I was going to say, "seriously, we're going to go there just to get you a sandwich?" but I didn't because I'm a nice wife. Had we all driven over instead of walking, I would have just had him go in by himself, since we only needed the lunch. And Josh says that if he'd known we didn't need groceries he wouldn't have wanted to eat out, we could have just gone home. *sigh*
Needless to say, it was just Communication Breakdown 101. We laughed pretty much all the way home at how it all went so wrong.
No comments:
Post a Comment